I previously took and completed a MOOC called “Introduction to Finite Mathematics”. I selected and participated in this course from Corpus Christi College. Its curriculum is designed to give students a better understanding of basic mathematical concepts in elementary number theory, elementary probability and statistics, and elementary geometry. This online course is made up of daily online video lectures with three large exams, four assignments, and ten after-class quizzes. We have a fixed website to accept the study files transmitted by professors. The entire classroom is divided into 12 study groups, and three of the four assignments require group work. Lectures include elementary number theory, elementary probability, and elementary geometry applied to life. Three large exams require students to check their environment and force all other websites to close. The quiz section consists of 12 multiple-choice questions. The assignment was to solve online problems left by the professor. Compared to traditional courses, this learning experience has the following characteristics:

• legitimacy

This course is offered by Corpus Christi College and is recognized by SFU, UBC, and UVIC, so it has legitimacy and authority. The college also offers many courses for learners to study and transfer to other schools in the same province through credit transfer.

• autonomy

Students cannot choose the time of the course but can decide the location. Professors record lectures so that students can study and review them at any time. Students cannot choose the time of the exam but students can choose the members of the group and review in teams.

• connection with your peers and the instructor(s)

The professor gives students 10 minutes at the end of each class to ask questions, which greatly increases the interaction between students and professors. A week after the assignment starts, the professor will use Zoom’s grouping feature to separate the entire course during the online class. Such activities greatly enhance the interaction between students.

• assessment and evaluation

The questions on the big test are completely found and created by the professor and there is no random search of the answers from the website. Students’ final grade is 70 percent for three exams, 20 percent for homework, and 10 percent for in-class tests. The results obtained through the study are authoritative and fair.

• learning that was achieved

By completing the study and testing of elementary mathematics, students can participate in more higher education. It can also help students solve math problems in life more effectively.

• anything else of note

It is important to note that this course used software on the exam that will block access to other websites. The software also requires us to show our hands to the camera. I think this software can help correct a lot of cheating and make the course fair.

I think this MOOC can be considered an xMOOC because it’s a massive open online course for students. It has structured course content, clear learning objectives, and predetermined learning progress. And the entire curriculum is based on content offered by universities and other educational institutions. I don’t think the MOOC is completely open because it requires you to create your own identity within the school and pay a fixed fee. Many learning resources are not available to the public and are somewhat exclusive.
Through the research and study of this topic, I found that most MOOCs are XMOOCs because the crowd is fixed and easy to manage. Through my research, I learned that many MOOCs that claim to be free are decoys that pay money in the middle of the conference. This could lead to a blow to the credibility of MOOCs. I chose this topic because I took online courses from many institutions during the pandemic, and I wanted to share my own experiences.

reference

Home. Corpus Christi. (2023, June 7). https://corpuschristi.ca/

MOOCS, cmoocs and xmoocs: Definition and explanation. The Oxford Review. (2020, April 16). https://oxford-review.com/oxford-review-encyclopaedia-terms/moocs-cmoocs-and-xmoocs-definition-and-explanation/